This is an opportunity for the right candidate to join ERSOU’s Counter Terrorism Prevent Team. Prevent is part of our counter-terrorist strategy, CONTEST. It’s aim is to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism. This is achieved with the support of community and policing partners. ERSOU is seeking to recruit officers for immediate vacancies and to address projected vacancies in the coming twelve months.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual, who is responsive to change, has an inquisitive mindset and possesses evidence of working to safeguard vulnerable people and develop the Eastern Region’s response to those who have been, or are at risk of radicalisation.
You will be part of a team responsible for the safeguarding, and preventing of subject’s being drawn into terrorism. You will also work with partners to address vulnerabilities and work with subject who have previously been radicalised. You will be responsible for presenting cases at meetings consisting of external partners.
The role of the Prevent Officer is wide-ranging and includes:
• Maintain responsibility for Prevent Case Management (PCM) in order to manage risk, threat and vulnerability associated with individuals, institutions and ideology.
• Identifying and maintaining relationships with key individuals, institutions and groups within the community in order to promote Prevent and support its delivery and objectives.
• Act as a conduit between local policing and CT Policing, promoting the mainstream delivery of Prevent to assist the local force to fulfil its obligations under the Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015.
• Working with partners to utilise powers at their disposal to disrupt and deter persons believed to be extremists or vulnerable to radicalisation who, due to their level of perceived radicalisation or extremism, are not suitable for voluntary engagement or support programmes such as Channel.
• Deployment in the role of Contact Officer at the time of executive action.
The successful candidate will be expected to work Monday – Friday office hours predominantly. However, there may be occasions where the specifics of the workload require work outside of these core hours.
There is one current vacancy, where the first successful candidate will be posted to the Prevent team based at Essex Police HQ (Chelmsford). However, in the course of the next 12 months, it is likely that further vacancies will arise across different counties within the Eastern Region.