Contract type – Full Time
Rank – Constable
Hours – 40
Information About The Role
An exciting and challenging opportunity has arisen for a full time police staff equivalent (PSE), or police constable to be seconded (please see alternative advert) to join the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit Specialist Support Unit located within the Technical Surveillance Unit in Hertfordshire.
ERSOU ROCU has responsibility for targeting serious and organised crime through the delivery of covert services to the five regional forces, Essex and Kent.
Within ERSOU ROCU is the Specialist Support Unit, which is a specialist unit working to support proactive covert operations. ERSOU ROCU Specialist Support Unit is a part the Eastern Region Organised Crime Unit delivering specialist covert policing capabilities, tackling the threat of those police forces that form part of the region and identifying Organised Crime Groups to be enforced upon.
This role is for a PSE or officer who seeks to undertake a Specialist role in support of serious and organised crime investigations. They will work with the ERSOU operational teams, the Serious and Organised Crime teams in each of the forces, and any other force department or agencies who require specialist support.
This post is ideally suited to a PSE or officer who currently works in or has experience of working in covert police roles. Whilst there is a specialist aspect of the role, all training and development will be provided.
Successful applicants will be assisting dynamic covert investigation which requires a flexible approach to the working day. In order to respond to changing circumstances, Specialist Support staff often work extended hours and alter shifts at short notice.
There is an on call requirement for 7 days in every 8 weeks including one weekend.
The commitment can be challenging but the role is extremely rewarding as you will play a vital role in achieving outcomes against those persons who cause the most harm to our communities.
Vetting: Applicants must hold or be prepared to undergo Management Vetting (5 years residency criteria) and Security Clearance (5 years residency criteria) or Development vetting, if applicable, before taking up the post. Please be aware the Police Corporate Vetting Unit will undertake security vetting on successful candidates, their family and others that live at their home address, which will include financial checks. Due to the sensitive nature of these checks, we are not able to supply feedback should clearance be declined.
- Researching, planning, resourcing, and undertaking specialist support activity to enable complex intrusive surveillance operations at level 1,2 and 3 if required. Management, direction and supervision of specialists such as TSU/ CSI/ Digital Forensic Investigators and surveillance operatives whilst conducting covert operations including CPD training to achieve operational taskings of national significance / counter terrorism.
- Ensure that personnel and other resources are deployed safely including thorough risk assessments for operational events, ensuring adequate control measures are in place. To train, develop and assist Officers who perform the role of Assistant SSO, disseminating and advising on new techniques where appropriate.
- Consultation with the Operational Lead, SIO and Authorising Officers and Chief Officers to provide specialist technical advice regarding the strategic planning of sensitive operations and investigations, identifying solutions to meet sensitive operational and investigative needs.
- Developing and maintaining effective working relations with internal and external partners to foster regional and national collaborative working on large scale projects. Be responsible for and compiling method statements and technical feasibility studies for consideration of operational leads/SIOs, Authorising Officers and Chief Officers. Work with and support multiple external partners including the NCA, ROCU’s, boarder force and regional forces.
- Prioritize workload to balance ROCU and Regional aims and to respond to spontaneous time critical tasking. Work individually with minimum supervision.
- Provide concise presentations to a variety of specialist audiences. To travel and deploy both regionally and nationally as required in response to operational demands and to attend meetings.
- To project manage the maintenance and enhancement of professional development and expertise in relation to technical advancements, engineering solutions, and identifying opportunities through the development of technologies, to improve the effectiveness of what the Regional TSU can deliver. To guide customers on the appropriate use of specialist tactics to reduce labour costs, reduce risks and maximize evidence.
- To protect the security and integrity of operations, techniques, equity protection, equipment, and staff. To operate in compliance with Approved Police Practices (APP), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), GPMS, GDPR, DPA, RIPA, IPA and other related legislation. To keep accurate records, satisfactory to IPCO inspections and enable the completion of competent statements.
- Conform to security measures relating to TSU premises, staff, equipment, and fleet.
- Planning and execution of rural deployments where the environment, weather conditions, and risk element require planning and focus.
- Completion of Level 2 CME and TSU specific tasks providing the full range of sensitive covert tactics ensuring all data is retained, reviewed, and disposed of according to both local and national policy and legislation.
- These key duties and responsibilities are intended only as a guide to the main responsibilities of the post and are not intended to restrict the scope of the post holder to perform other duties. Additional responsibilities for the post holder may be agreed on an individual basis and recorded as part of the annual performance review role requirement.
How to Apply
Apply to the role by clicking the button below. Further information about the role is also available via this link.